To request a COVID-19 mortgage forbearance, follow these five steps.

Any time you speak with a bank employee, write down:

  • The date and time of the conversation,
  • What was said, and
  • The employee’s name and ID number or extension (if they have one).

If you have trouble with any of these steps and you are a resident of Cook County, contact CVLS: 312-332-8785;


An FHA mortgage is a loan insured by the Federal Housing Administration (FHA). Most reverse mortgages are FHA-insured Home Equity Conversion Mortgages (HECMs). If you have a reverse mortgage—you can assume the loan is federally backed and go to Step 2.

If you have a regular (not reverse) mortgage…

  • Check your mortgage documents to see if your loan is FHA-insured. Look for a notation on the first page of your loan documents (note and mortgage) that says “FHA number…” or “FHA Case Number…”.
  • If you do not have these documents handy, you can look up the loan documents on your county’s Recorder of Deeds’s website and look for that same notation. Residents of Cook County can look them up here:
  • You can also contact the FHA directly through its HUD Servicing Center:
  • Finally, you can ask your lender directly if the loan is FHA-insured.

Even if you do not have an FHA loan, ask your bank for help. If your bank offers you relief, put it in writing. Do not accept any “deal” that is not in writing.


Find your bank’s fax number, email address, and/or a mailing address (preferably all three). This information is usually on your bank’s website or on statements they send you. If you’re in foreclosure, get the same information for your bank’s attorneys. This information should be on the firm’s website and on any court filings.


Download a form COVID-19 Forbearance Request Letter here.

Insert your bank’s contact information and explain how COVID-19 has affected you. You do not need to include any additional documents, such as bank statements or paystubs.


Send your bank the COVID-19 forbearance request by fax, email, and/or mail (preferably all three). If you are in foreclosure, send the same letter to your bank’s attorneys. Keep proof of sending your letter (sent email, fax confirmation, and/or a USPS receipt) in a safe place.


Call your bank a few days after sending your request and confirm they received it. If they have not received it, confirm their contact information and send it again. At the same time, request your forbearance over the phone. Keep a written record of that call. A written request is easier to prove than a telephone call, so still send your request even if you ask for a forbearance over the phone.

If your bank has received your request, confirm:

  • Your loan has been placed in forbearance,
  • No payment is currently due, and
  • The length of the forbearance.

Ask your bank to confirm all this in writing. If you do not get written confirmation within a week, contact the bank again to confirm the forbearance and, again, ask for confirmation in writing.

One month before your forbearance ends, contact your bank again. You can extend the forbearance once, for an additional 180 days.

Whenever your forbearance ends (either the initial or second forbearance period), your bank must work with you to repay the suspended payments. For a list of possible repayment options, read this FAQ. You should also contact a HUD-certified housing counselor to understand your options.

If you are sure you have a federally-backed loan and the bank refuses your forbearance request or refuses to put it in writing, send your bank a Notice of Error. Download a form Notice of Error here.

You may need to send this notice to a different fax, email, and/or mailing address than your forbearance request, so check the bank’s website again. If your bank does not post its Notice of Error contact information on its website, call them and ask for it. If you are in foreclosure, send a copy of your Notice of Error to your bank’s attorneys.

You should send your Notice of Error via fax, email, and/or mail (preferably all three). Keep proof of sending your letter (sent email, fax confirmation, and/or a USPS receipt) in a safe place. Call the bank a week after you send the Notice of Error. If the bank has not agreed to a forbearance and you are a resident of Cook County, contact CVLS: 312-332-8785;

See How We Can Help With Your Case

Consult With an
Attorney for Free

Legal aid that is free, accessible, and real. 

Scroll to Top