Bilingual Family Law / General Civil Litigation Attorney
Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Foundation (CVLS) is a not-for-profit that provides free legal services to individuals in and around Chicago using volunteer attorneys. Last year 2,300 CVLS volunteers helped thousands of clients with their cases and legal issues.
CVLS is looking for a bilingual (Spanish) attorney who wants to serve the low-income Little Village community. Most cases are family law but may include general civil litigation. This is a great opportunity for an entry level or above attorney looking to help Chicago’s Latinx community while working with a great CVLS team.
The attorney will work in CVLS’ Family Law Program representing Spanish-speaking parties in family law and some general litigation cases. As knowledge grows, the attorney will begin to supervise volunteers while managing a decreasing caseload. Although the position is currently remote, the attorney will visit the clinic once a week in person once Erie House reopens for in-person activities. Clinic responsibilities include client intake, advising potential clients and consulting with Erie House staff. The attorney will also be responsible for organizing and attending community outreach events, programming, and related activities, and recruiting, supervising, and supporting volunteer attorneys.
- A current, active Illinois law license.
- Fluency in oral and written English and Spanish.
- Ability to get to and from the Erie House Neighborhood Clinic as needed.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Experience working with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience working with LegalServer or the ability to learn quickly and accurately.
- Clerking, internship, or professional experience in family law or general civil litigation.
- A demonstrable commitment to working with low-income and minority clients.
- Ability to work with volunteer attorneys of varying skill levels and temperaments.
- Proof of vaccination and booster shots and the agreement to follow Covid protocols, including masks, while in CVLS’ Loop office common areas.
We are looking for people who have a sense of humor; are friendly, patient and tolerant; can work independently and in a team and pay attention to detail while also seeing the big picture.
This is a full-time position with an active caseload and additional responsibilities. Salary is $55,000 to $60,000 DOE plus medical, life and disability insurance and pension benefits. Generous paid holidays, vacation, and sick days. Currently, all work is remote. As Covid safety concerns diminish, we will continue to permit remote work, but some work in the office will be required as courts reopen for in-person hearings.
CVLS is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, qualified disability, or sexual orientation or any other protected class. CVLS is an Equal Opportunity employer seeking to build a workforce that reflects the diverse community we serve.
How to Apply
Email cover letter, resume and three professional references as attachments in Word to: Lisa Murphy, Staff Attorney at email@example.com. Include “CVLS Family Law Staff Attorney” in subject line. No mail or phone calls will be accepted.